Welcome to the Worldwide Roar Forum. Please note that customer support enquiries, for example regarding individual orders, should be submitted here

bejjinks
The videos are available in three sizes. However, I cannot figure out what those sizes are. I found the file sizes but that doesn't always translate directly to resolution or pixel-by-pixel. Please tell me what the different sizes mean in terms of resolution and pixel-by-pixel.
Quote 1 0
RJohns81
Most of the films, especially the last two years, are available in 3 resolutions: 720p, 1080p, and 4K. These resolutions are reflected in the names of the films and refer to the number or density of pixels in the vertical dimension. 

A 720p television has 1,280 columns and 720 rows of pixels, hence “720p.” Multiply the two numbers for a total of 921,600 pixels. This is the minimum resolution that can be called “high definition,” or HD.

Often, 1080p is referred to as “Full HD.” In a 1080p television, there are 1,920 columns multiplied by 1,080 rows for a total of 2,073,600 pixels — more than twice as many pixels as you’ll find in a 720p display. For several years now, 1080p has been the industry standard for high-definition displays, and most content (that is, television broadcasts, shows, movies, and video games) is produced and distributed in 1080p.

The next level of HD is 4K — often called “Ultra HD” or UHD. Technically, the name is a bit of a misnomer, because there are only 3,840 columns and 2,160 rows of pixels, which is why you’ll occasionally see this resolution referred to as 2,160p. That’s a total of 8,294,400 pixels, which is four times as many pixels as a Full HD 1080p display and nine times as many pixels as a 720p display.

The higher the pixel count, the higher the definition or resolution of the image. 4K looks 4 times sharper than 1080p, and 1080p looks twice as sharp as 720p. By way of contrast, standard DVD resolution is 480p and the old VHS tapes were the equivalent of about 300p. 

In order to enjoy the higher resolution films you need a TV or monitor that is capable of displaying all those pixels. You won’t see 4K sharpness on a 720p or 1080p screen — you need a 4K screen to get the full resolution of a 4K film. You can play a 4K film on a 1080p screen but it won’t look any sharper than the 1080p version of the film. 

Also, the higher the resolution the bigger the file size. This 4K films require more memory than 1080p films and much more memory than 720p films. 

I hope this helps. 

Quote 1 0
John RW
Thankyou RJohns. I always download the 1080p for the reasons you have stated. It takes less time, less space and the 4Kis no better.
Quote 0 0
bejjinks
Thank you RJohns81 and the reason I'm asking is because of space concerns just like John RW mentioned. It seems like the 1080P is the way to go since I don't own a 4k television, which is why I couldn't tell any difference between the two resolutions.
Quote 0 0

By posting on this forum you agree to our Forum Rules, Terms & Conditions as agreed at sign up.