Welcome to the Worldwide Roar Forum. Please note that customer support enquiries, for example regarding individual orders, should be submitted here

dirkdiggler Show full post »
Angus WR
Hi Sam

I think we are fundamentally in agreement here.  

One of the ways our project is trying to reshape the rules of masculinity is by inviting men who identify as straight to reach out specifically to the LGBT community (and to women) through the act of getting naked.  It's about recognising the vulnerabilities and disadvantages that other groups in society experience, and seeking to show firstly their recognition of their privilege and secondly to offer a symbolic (but also quite real) gesture of solidarity through making themselves vulnerable.  I think that can be achieved in a number of settings and a number of styles, and I'm very grateful to the kind supporters who have provided us with locations when we were, effectively, homeless.  

But I'm equally delighted that our WR20 calendar cover shoot included over thirty athletes of different ages, sexualities and sporting seniority throwing purple Holi power over each other.  They were running around, grabbing each other and clearly having an absolute riot!!    You may not have seen this, because it's in our WR20 paid content, but I'm pretty sure we've posted some pictures on Instagram.  It's an early example of precisely the kind of dynamic, fun-filled, team based content to which you are referring.  

As the Worldwide Roar we hope to create content in many countries, and we will always be keen on finding nice locations, but this project has always been about the people featured and about the messages we aim to send through taking a fresh look at the male body and at how men can be together.

Thanks for the response Angus and your support Lefkippus.

Angus - the primary goal that you stated (in the words you used) resonate with me and I am sure with lot of other people too. But I also think it validates my point. How does 2-3 guys making artistic modeling poses around trees or buildings defy the stereotypes of masculinity? Or for that matter feminity or any gender stereotype? Stereotypes come around when men or women are doing more normal activities like sports or being playful with each other or displaying some bonding. like its perfectly ok from women or man-woman to hold hands or give each other hugs but men doing that as a normal gesture or in a playful context hit stereotypes of masculinity!! And the early shoot outs of warwick rowers in 2015,16, 17 challenged that - you could see the rowers doing water fights, playing around with colour, putting each other on shoulders, laurence pushing matt in a cart..these were the scenarios where stereotypes get enforced and the fact that the rowers did these in a natural spontaneous manner challenged the stereotypes...

My point is its not the settings of the shoots so much but the picturisation of the shoots/pictures/films that have taken the differentiation off from the calendar.

However, I fully condemn the hostility of the university if what you are saying is true. Such calendars and participations are something that a university or any body should be proud of. I also welcome the participation of other sports people in it. But i do think you dont necessarily have to take the project to exotic locations to bring its spirit back. 
Quote 0 0
Lefkippus
Dear Angus and Sam
Again Sam has very eloquently explained what disappointed me concerning the 2019 content and what I was hoping for in 2020. Angus has mounted a very convincing defense of the project I think. There is no doubt that I have missed the material this year. I strongly believe, as a gay man and athlete, in the cause that WR and Sports Allies are promoting. I am extremely grateful to the athletes who have participated in previous years. I am inspired by these young guys and beholden to them for their courage and their convictions and their willingness to contribute in this way. So, in the end for the sake of these guys, in recognition of their achievements and in gratitude to them, I have decided to invest/subscribe to all the material for 2020. Thank you
Quote 1 0
Márcio
Dear Lefkippus.

I'm glad to know that you decided to invest in 2020 videos. I haven't bought them yet. Then, leave your impressions here if it really pays off. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Angus WR
I hope subscribers will review the May ROAR Portfolio.  As well as 250 images, of which only ten have been seen before,  there is over two hours of video spread across more than a dozen films.  We have naked cocktail making, powder throwing, naked book reviews and so much more.  
Quote 0 0
Márcio
Angus WR,
Where is this content available?
Quote 0 0
Angus WR
Good question, Marcio!!

You can buy our ROAR Portfolio here:   https://www.worldwideroar.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=266

And for an unbeatable deal, we also offer a year's supply of ROAR Portfolio along with an entire year of monthly art film updates from our long-time cinematographer Damien here:  https://www.worldwideroar.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=274

Márcio wrote:
Angus WR,
Where is this content available?
Quote 0 0
NudeBCN
Angus WR wrote:
I hope subscribers will review the May ROAR Portfolio.  As well as 250 images, of which only ten have been seen before,  there is over two hours of video spread across more than a dozen films.  We have naked cocktail making, powder throwing, naked book reviews and so much more.  

Hi, Angus and Lucas!
I want to thank you for the may issue. I understand how difficult it is to take new material in this present circumstances (you were lucky to be confined in Marbella, though lol). Lucas, it is always a pleasure to see you, so comfortable being naked in front of the camera, as handsome as always and so commited to the project.
The new recruits look really promising, and reviewing the 205 USA trip is always nice, as it contains my all-time favourite rower Chris.

Maybe you could try to contact guys from previous calendars for new shoots, or at least to record self videos talking to us all like the new recruits do?
Another suggestion would be for new recruits to shoot their videos naked... Patric's training lessons would have been much more "natural" without the cloth and the socks lol

I also agree with previous posters that my favoutite parts in videos is when the guys are naturally interacting naked, more than just posing.

Anyway, keep up with the good work and thanks again,

Carles

Quote 2 0
jeff
Well said, Carles. Thanks for sharing your insights.
Quote 1 0
wolf58
hey all!
I have been pleasantly surprised with the May content, film subscription and portfolio, both products have showed great content!
Quote 1 0
Lefkippus
I have just finished watching the June film. Again, it is so boring. I could not be bothered to watch it as it ran. No action, no sport. With one brief exception at 13:00 minutes, when there was an overhead view of the guys diving into the pool. A good sequence but too brief. For the rest, it was nice to hear Sebastian and Alfie, and finally James talk briefly again, but the rest was static. No interaction except around the shoots themselves and this is very limited. I do not understand why you bother to spend so long filming something so static. We used to call films motion pictures or movies.. well it is the movement which is missing. I complained about this in the 2019 monthly films. Nothing has changed. I will definitely not be subscribing to these again.
Quote 0 0
Angus WR
Hi, All.  I know I'm biased, but I think Damien did a great job with the June film update.  When I was reviewing a rough cut, I posted a message on our team WhatsApp to say how great it looked and how strongly it held my attention.

But I'm listening, and I've heard a plea for more sporting content coming up frequently.  The good news is that we're already working on it.  

We've just shot tennis at one of the world's leading tennis academies and have plans to create more content where we see sportsmen playing sport naked.  

I've just been reading a very interesting book about the central role of nudity in the social structure of the Ancient Greek Games.  It's something the modern Olympics skipped over (the 19th century was a tough time for nudity), but it's 2020 now, and we're on it.
Quote 0 0
Lefkippus
My comment had nothing to do with quality. The problem is content.
Quote 0 0
NudeBCN
I  only agree partially wity the previous post.
I want to remember where we come from:

At the beginning there were the calendars, and then we wanted videos about the "making of" those calendars. At the calendars there was no frontal nudity, and we enjoyed seeing the guys uncensored at the videos, so it was worth it. Of course posing for still pictures can look "boring", but that was what I expected when I bought the "making of videos". In this sense, I don't find the videos disappointing. 
Of course, It turned out that new video material recorded to accompany the pics subscription turned out to be more interesting than the video subscription itself (that video of Joao teaching capoeira!), and I agree that having expanded the project from "Warwick rowers calendar" to a "Worldwide Roar" I would appreciate more material created specifically for video and not only the making of the photoshoot.

For instance, I know Alex and Sebastian are martial arts experts, but we have to see so far a naked combat between them or a kickboxing lesson to the other guys, Wouldn't it be great?
As for the comments to the camera, I love knowing more about the guys but they end up saying almost the same about why they participate at the project, so I agree that watching the guys playing sports would be best.

The idea of recreate the classical olympic games as they were originally, with no clothes, is really the best!

As for me, I intend to give WR another chance and subscribe for next year also.

Thanks, Angus, Lucas and all the guys!
Quote 1 0

By posting on this forum you agree to our Forum Rules, Terms & Conditions as agreed at sign up.